Create a clutter-free and organized space with our list of eight stylish living room storage ideas (for every budget, size, and style).
Real talk: creating a chic, functional, and organized living room is never easy, especially if you have a small space or a tight budget. Just like your entryway, your living room is likely the shared space in your home, so it’s no brainer that you need to make a good impression by making the space clutter-free and stylish.
So, if you are after living room storage ideas that are both functional and stylish, we have you covered. After all, we have kinda become experts in decluttering and storing stuff (Thanks, Marie Kondo!). Before we start, keep in mind that the key to getting an organized living room is choosing pieces that offer as much storage potential as possible. You should also consider the design of your living room to keep the space feeling cohesive.
Bring in a Basket
First, on our list of living room storage ideas is to add a basket into the space. This is the easiest and most affordable way to hide away your clutter and still be stylish. For example, you can store your throw blankets in the basket when not in use. Baskets are pretty cheap, but if you’re feeling a bit more creative, you can repurpose an old box wrapped in jute twine. Finish it off by adding a drop cloth or an old pillowcase to line the box.
- Superior Wicker Basket | 2. Handwoven Ombre Laundry Basket | 3. Decorative Coiled Rope Square Base Tapered Basket Small White | 4. Macramé Catch-All Basket | 5. 4 Piece Wicker/Rattan Basket Set | 6. Low Dark Brown Abaca Madras Utility Basket
Opt for Built-ins
Next on our list of living room storage ideas is to install built-in cabinets, especially if you have a LOT of books. It’s definitely worth it! You can style your built-in cabinets to make the room look more visually interesting by decorating it with chic vases, artworks, accessories, and vine plants.
Display Your Bar Cart
Another easy way to add storage to your living room is to use a bar cart. You can decorate it with coffee tables and candles or create a day-to-night drinks cart (coffee bar + night drinks). Stack it all of your coffee ingredients, accessories, barware, and spirits.
- Aguila Bar Cart | 2. Woven Bistro Bar Cart | 3. Sauder Boulevard Café Library Cart Green Finish | 4. Wesley Storage Cart | 5. Ermont Bar Cart | 6. Gold Art Deco Bar Cart
Opt for a Double Decker Coffee Table
Adding to our list of living room storage ideas is to choose a strategic coffee table that has storage space to tuck your remote controls and other devices. You can also utilize the space underneath by storing your coffee table books or floor pillows.
- Abigail Coffee Table | 2. Noir Tiered Coffee Table | 3. Paramount Coffee Table | 4. Mikko Coffee Table | 5. Spurgeon Cross Legs Coffee Table with Storage | 6. Glass And Metal Baruch Coffee Table
Use a Dresser
To add storage to your living room, you need to have a bit of creativity and reinvent what you already have like this low-profile black dresser decorated with a large-scale painting and chic tabletop decor. You can also use a sleek sideboard or media cabinet and place it in a corner to keep your items out of sight.
- Benoit 56″ Console Table | 2. Textured Trellis Six-Drawer Dresser | 3. Urban Industrial Farmhouse Metal X Entry Table | 4. Amaia 6-Drawer Dresser | 5. Desi 47.25″ Console Table | 6. Walnut Mid Century Jackson Dresser
Go for Double-Duty Furniture
Next on our list of living room storage ideas is to choose double-duty furniture, especially if you have a small living room and minimalist space. For example, a stylish storage ottoman is recommended for family homes considering you can keep away your blankets and your kid’s toys.
- Elrosa 15″ Velvet Round Storage Ottoman | 2. Ingram Storage Bench | 3. Storage Ottoman | 4. Silvia Bamboo Storage Bin | 5. Annie End Table Set (Set of 2) | 6. Faux Cement And Wood Cordova End Table With Drawer
Install Floating Shelves
Installing floating shelves does not only add storage to your living room, but it also makes the space look more polished and refined. Plus, it’s easy enough to do it yourself. You can decorate it with books, accessories, chic vases, plants, and wall art to make it look attractive.
- Taylorsville 2 Piece Floating Shelf Set (Set of 2) | 2. Scalloped Shelf | 3. 3 Tier Hanging Shelves | 4. Tori Tri-Tier Wall Shelf | 5. Boruta 2 Piece Rectangle Manufactured Wood Floating Shelf Set (Set of 2) | 6. Gold And Glass Honeycomb Wall Shelf
Customize a Wall Unit
Lastly, on our list of living room storage ideas is to customize a floor-to-ceiling wall unit to display your collection or decorative objects. This is a perfect alternative if you can’t install built-in cabinets in your home. Designed by Arent & Pyke, this floor-to-ceiling wall unit makes the living room look sophisticated and spacious.
- Pierre Geometric Bookcase | 2. Maya Bookshelf | 3. 72″ Loring 5 Shelf Ladder Bookcase | 4. Caitlyn Etagere Bookcase | 6. Large Distressed Metal And Wood Amador Bookshelf
That’s a wrap for our chic living room storage ideas. Learn more interior design tips and ideas on Omysa’s blog. Happy decorating!