The first thing to figure out about decorating a living room is what you should buy. Use this living room essentials guide to create a functional and stylish living space.
Decorating your living room is tough. Trust us, it can be overwhelming. Focusing on one area at a time won’t help either. The easy solution is to hire an interior designer to help you, but what if you’re on a budget? Don’t stress because we’re here to guide and help you check “living room” off of your decorating to-do list, starting with the must-have living room essentials.
Living Room Furniture
The most practical way to decorate your living room is to start with the five main pieces.
- Sofa: One of the living room essentials you should buy since it will set the right tone for your living room. Plus, it will be your biggest investment, so it should be comfortable, fit your living room properly, and holds its shape.
- Coffee Table: A coffee table adds style to your living room, especially when you decorate it with coffee table books and decor. It will also help keep your remotes organized and hold your drinks and snacks.
- Media Stand: If you love watching shows in your living room, then you’ll need a media console or media stand for your television. Make sure the style you choose goes perfectly with your living room.
- Side Tables: A living room essential to organize your personal items and to place your table lamp.
- Accent Chairs: It’s important to have at least one accent chair in your living room. It balances out the space and provides extra seating.
Living Room Decor
After buying the first five living room essentials, you will need to buy decor, lighting, and other products to complete the design of your living room. Choose decor that will reflect your character, style, and taste.
- Area Rug: Area rugs do not only exist to prevent cold feet, but it also helps define the space, noise levels, and make your living room feel cozy and warm. Plus, it adds color, a hit of pattern, and texture to the space.
- Overhead Lighting: Opt for an overhead chandelier that has at least 4-5 light bulbs for a well-lit living room. However, if you have low ceilings, it’s best to choose a flush mount. Lighting adds character and dimension to any room, so go for a mix of chandelier or pendant, floor lamps, and table lamps.
- Table Lamps: Adding table lamps to your side table are helpful when you want to read a book or magazine.
- Throw Pillows: Throw pillows are a great way to add coziness and personal style to your living room.
- Coffee Table Books: Add stylish coffee table books. It’s also a great conversation starter with your guests.
- Decor Accents: This could be anything that shows off your personality and story. It adds character to a boring living room.
- Blanket or Throw: One of the best living room essentials you must have, especially if you’re the type of person who is always cold no matter what the temperature is.
- Wall Decor & Art: Plain white walls are a thing of the past. Add character to your living room by creating a gallery wall of your favorite photos or wall art.
- Curtain Rod: Yes, this is an essential piece for hanging curtains because it should also match your living room’s style.
- Curtain: Of course, one of the living room essentials that will pull your room together and make it feel finished. Opt for curtains that will block a little light and give you some privacy.
It takes a little TLC and time to get your living room look exactly like how you want it, but by starting with these living room essentials, you will eventually create a functional and stylish living room space! Learn more interior design tips and ideas on Omysa’s Design blog. Happy decorating!