From clean lines to warm and cozy home decor, farmhouse living room has it all. No wonder this look is everywhere! Get the secret on how to decorate a farmhouse living room just like Joanna Gaines’ with our ultimate guide.
Classic, cozy, down to earth, and elegant. These are some of the words to describe the farmhouse style. With the mix of new and old decor, the farmhouse style stole all the hearts of those who love to keep their home’s style organic and simple.
One of the main reasons why this interior style became popular is because it allows you to decorate your home according to your liking by giving you a great variety of decor and furnishings that add a touch of unique personality to your place.
Plus, the farmhouse style is so versatile that you can mix and match it with other interior styles, like industrial farmhouse, modern farmhouse, or rustic farmhouse. It can instantly make a space feel homey, personalized, and warm. Today, we’re sharing how to achieve this style in one of the most important rooms of your home: the living room.
Farmhouse Living Room: Basics
The farmhouse living room is a combination of modern and traditional decor, neutral colors, and organic materials. Some homes incorporate an open concept style for a more visually stunning space. Here are the characteristics of a farmhouse living room:
- Cozy materials: fabrics and throw pillows.
- Family style furniture: cozy, inviting, and laid-back vibe.
- Lots of wood materials
- Mix of modern, traditional, and vintage decor: chairs and lights.
- Mix of patterns and textures: floral throw pillow on a wicker chair. Bamboo shades and gray curtain.
- Neutral color palette: brown, cream, gray, navy, sage, and white.
- Pops of black
- Pots of plants
- Repurposing and upcycling of accessories and decor
- Rustic furniture: coffee table and side table.
- Shiplap wall
- Tons of natural light
How to Create a Farmhouse Living Room?
For a cozy and warm farmhouse living room, the style’s focus is to keep everything organic and simple. It’s best to furnish the room with vintage elements from flea markets because it adds character to the space. Plus, to mix and match furniture, patterns, and texture.
The Anchors | Mix & Match Your Furniture
OK, we will start with the largest pieces as your focal point in decorating a farmhouse living room or what we called as the anchor pieces: accent chairs, area rug, coffee table, media console, sofa, and side table. These should be a mix of farmhouse and your preferred interior style. For example, farmhouse and modern pieces for a modern farmhouse living room.
There are lots of pieces of furniture to consider when decorating a farmhouse living room, and we’re going to start with the accent chair because, for me, it’s the easiest decision you will make. Preferably, accent chairs should be in matching pairs. However, it’s also your choice if you want to mix and match different accent chairs in your space.
Accent chairs can be made out of different materials. Here are the most common materials you will find that accent chairs are made of in a farmhouse living room:
- Upholstered Accent Chairs
- Wood Accent Chairs
Most farmhouse accent chairs have curved wood (carved or turned wood) legs that are exposed. This style makes the space more interesting, however, it all depends on your personal taste and style you want to combine with the farmhouse.
It’s best to choose an accent chair that has a caster at the bottom. This will help you move your accent chair much easier, and it adds a charming old-school touch, perfect for your farmhouse living room.
Most farmhouse living room uses a tufted chair or wingback chair because it gives off a cozy, elegant, and traditional vibe. However, there is also a farmhouse style living room that goes for a lounge chair, armless chair, or sculptural chair.
- Brownstone Chair | 2. Bradbury Side Chair | 3. Christopher Knight Home Boaz Fabric Club Chair, Floral Print | 4. Striped Rhys Chair | 5. Tartonelle Accent Chair | 6. Larkin Upholstered Swivel Glider | 7. Auburn Club Chair, Marine | 8. PB Comfort Roll Arm Slipcovered Armchair | 9. Winnette Wingback Chair | 10. Toddman High-Back Club Chair Checkerboard Black/Dark Charcoal | 11. Urban Renewal One-Of-A-Kind Kantha Chair | 12. Ivory And Blush Blossom Davenport Upholstered Armchair
Yes, farmhouse rugs are as important as picking out your sofa since it takes up the most amount of floor space in your living room. Farmhouse rugs come in different colors, like beige, brown, gray, or white. Some farmhouse living room mix and match two shades of rugs to add character to the floor space. Another reason that farmhouse rugs are neutral colors is that it makes the room airy and bright. Plus, it gives off a family and a friendly vibe.
According to The Modern Rustic Home, there are things you need to consider when selecting an area rug for your living room:
- Your farmhouse home decor style
- Space you need to cover
- Your budget
- High or low traffic area
- Material of the rug
- Polypropylene: durable synthetic fiber. Perfect for high-traffic areas and for people with allergies.
- Seagrass: durable and stain-resistant natural fiber.
- Braided fibers
- Cowhide rug
- Faded coloring
- Moroccan pattern rug
- Natural tones
- Textured neutral rug
- Vintage designs
- Turkish Rug | 2. Marley Handmade Jute Area Rug | 3. Florence Broadhurst Slub Rug | 4. Modern Area Rug | 5. Natural Hide, Beige | 6. Bowen Flatweave Jute & Wool Rug | 7. Handmade Flatweave Jute/Sisal Area Rug | 8. Custom Hemp Rug | 9. Gray And Cream Geometric Hilo Indoor Outdoor Rug
Of course, a farmhouse living room wouldn’t be complete without the perfect farmhouse sofa. But first, what is a farmhouse sofa? To be honest, there’s really no specific answer to that question, which is a good thing. However, there some characteristics of a farmhouse sofa according to Curated Interior:
- Cotton or linen fabric
- Creamy, off-white color
- Slipcover Sofa
- Tufted Back
- In addition, farmhouse sofas are more on the neutral side, like area rugs.
Note: These characteristics of a farmhouse sofa can be seen individually, but occasionally they do mix.
- Martha’s Vineyard 94″ Sofa | 2. Jeremy Sofa | 3. Eton Upholstered Sofa in Conley Stripe Fern with Latte Finish | 4. Marley Sofa, Ivory | 5. Chesterfield Square Arm Leather Sofa | 6. Svenson Sofa | 7. Eastgate Sofa | 8. Jalon Mid Century Modern Sofa | 9. Quinn Striped Sofa | 10. Anso Chesterfield Sofa | 11. Newport 3-Piece L-Shaped Sectional | 12. Quentin Chesterfield Sofa
Your coffee table is the central piece of furniture in your farmhouse living room. It’s where you display your collection, books, your coffee every morning while watching the news, your TV’s remote control, and sometimes it’s where you eat your dinner or where your kids do their homework. So, it’s important to choose a coffee table that’s both chic and functional.
Most farmhouse coffee tables are made up of iron and wood. It’s sturdy, and it gives off a country rustic charm.
- Oak Mikado Coffee Table Round | 2. Eamon Square Coffee Table with Casters | 3. Handcarved Lovella Trunk Coffee Table | 4. Asst. of 2 Bank Outdoor Nesting Tables, Gray | 5. Terri Square Wood Coffee Table | 6. Victorian Tilt Top Coffee Table | 7. Blake Square Coffee Table | 8. Perdana Coffee Table Brown | 9. Vaughan Coffee Table | 10. Nadell Coffee Table with Storage | 11. Emmerson® Reclaimed Wood Coffee Table | 12. Wood And Metal Multi Level Coffee Table
Media Console Table
A farmhouse media console table is both beauty and beast. It’s chic and stylish with the rustic weathered wood and a beast of a storage unit, just like The Turquoise Home’s DIY farmhouse media console table. Amazing, right?
If you have a small living room, a farmhouse media console table is perfect for you since it can store so much stuff. Plus, it’s the perfect furniture piece to hide all your mess. Also, a farmhouse media console table is a great place to display your decorations or collections.
- Rolando TV Stand for TVs up to 60″ | 2. Quincy Media Console | 3. Stafford Media Console, Echo Oak | 4. Griffin 70″ Reclaimed Wood Media Console | 5. Hess Walnut Media Console | 6. Beach House Console | 7. 58″ Modern Farmhouse Wood TV Stand | 8. Manor Park Wood TV Media Storage Stand for TVs up to 78″ | 9. Rhiannon TV Stand for TVs up to 70″
Side tables, also called end tables, are small yet functional tables that can be found in your living room. For the farmhouse living room, side tables are usually used to fill an empty corner, like a barrel-style side table. For some, it’s used to place a lamp or for hidden storage.
The style of your side table depends on the interior style you want to combine with the farmhouse style.
- Stump Side Table | 2. Oath End Table | 3. Wireworks Wooden Nesting Side Tables | 4. Brass Starburst Round Side Table | 5. Hazel Side Table, Weathered Oak | 6. Ludlow Trunk End Table | 7. Industrial Steel Turtle Table w/ Casters | 8. Hunter Side Table | 9. Aziel Side Table | 10. Rooney Storage Console | 11. Better Homes & Gardens River Crest Side Table | 12. Sudbury Solid Wood End Table with Storage
Lighting up your farmhouse living room is easy if you know the style you want and where to look. It’s important to choose a ceiling light that will perfectly match your farmhouse living room because it will be the focal point of the space.
Farmhouse ceiling lights are normally made of glass and iron. It usually has an industrial and rustic look.
- Hamby 8 – Light Globe Chandelier | 2. Tallis Teardrop Chandelier | 3. Bronze Finish Chandelier | 4. McGuire 4-Light Chandelier, Nickel/Natural | 5. Suri Chandelier | 6. Capiz Honeycomb Chandelier | 7. Ceiling Lights Chandelier Industrial Bronze | 8. Best Choice Products 4-Light Hanging Ceiling Lantern Chandelier for Home | 9. Jarman 6-Light Candle Style Geometric Chandelier
Installing a ceiling light in your farmhouse living room isn’t enough. It’s best to add table lamps or floor lamps to keep the room properly lit.
Farmhouse table lamps or floor lamps are mostly made of wood. Sometimes, glass, iron, or tin for that vintage vibe.
- Fiona 30″ Tripod Table Lamp | 2. MINDTHEGAP Delicate Bloom Cone Lamp Shade | 3. Pier Rope Table Lamp | 4. Madelief Table Lamp | 5. S/2 Shanghai Table Lamps, Blue/White | 6. Mallorca Recycled Glass Table Lamp | 7. O&G Jena Buffet Lamp | 8. Brighton Table Lamp | 9. Ceramic Table Lamp White | 10. Kema Ceramic Table Lamp | 11. Better Homes & Gardens 3-Piece Lamp Set | 12. Glass Cloche 3 Edison Bulb Table Lamp
The Accents | Mix & Match Patterns and Textures
Next, to create a chic and cozy farmhouse living room, you need to learn how to mix and match patterns and textures or accents. There’s no tutorial for this one, but it’s a trial and error process until you achieve the look you want for your space.
Farmhouse living room accents are baskets, decor like wood coffee table trays or pillar candle holders, galvanized buckets for your fresh blooms or plants, textured pillows, throws, and wood or vintage metal signs. These accents add coziness and warmth to the space, which the farmhouse style is known for. Don’t forget to incorporate your preferred interior style.
To create a cozy farmhouse living room, add throw pillows. It doesn’t have to match at all, but limit the colors to three. For example, cream, gray, and white. The same goes when choosing patterns, limit it to three, and make sure that each pattern incorporates at least one of the colors.
- Richeson Square Throw Pillow | 2. ROBERTO CAVALLI Bird Ramage Silk Pillow | 3. Tasseled Chenille Nadia Pillow | 4. Ranait 20×20 Pillow, Floral Sage | 5. Silk Striped Pillow Cover | 6. Arcata Pillow Cover | 7. White Floral Watercolor Embroidered Lumbar Pillow | 8. Mainstays Beyond Blessed Sentiment Pillow | 9. Round Blue Mandala Throw Pillow
Well, this is optional, but it will definitely add style to your farmhouse living room. Choose a neutral-colored curtain, like beige, cream, gray, or white. You can also combine the curtains with bamboo shades for more character.
Add pots of plants, vases of your favorite flowers, a wooden tray on your coffee table, coffee table books, candles, and a vintage sign to complete the farmhouse living room look.
- Ethnicraft Oak Light Frame Floor Mirror | 2. Metal and Glass 30 Minute Hourglass | 3. LSA INTERNATIONAL Lotta Vase/Hurricane & Ash Base | 4. White-Dipped Ladder | 5. Holly and Martin Chaz Cabinet | 6. Asst. of 2 Mohave Vessels, Pistachio | 7. Beachcomber Basket Collection | 8. Bedford Tray | 9. Iron Decorative Tray with 5 Glass Vases | 10. Better Homes & Gardens Tabletop Cream Decorative Chalkboard | 11. 22″ Foam/Silk Wreath | 12. Gold Inlay Bone Frame
Wall Decor & Art
Shiplap wall + gallery wall of your family’s photos = perfect farmhouse living room. You can also opt for vintage signs, framed wall art, or collections like vintage mirrors as your gallery wall. If you want to make the space feel more personal, go for a customized farmhouse vintage sign that has your family’s name.
- Thich Nhat Hanh Original Calligraphy | 2. Semaj Faux Taxidermy Deer Head Wall Décor | 3. NEWGATE CLOCKS The Battersby Wall Clock | 4. Artemis Wallpaper | 5. Pearl Wall Clock | 6. Wood Gallery in a Box Frames – Set of 6 | 7. “Just The Two Of Us” by Summer Strauch | 8. Wood Letter Board Brown | 9. Specimen Reference Flag Tapestry | 10. Better Homes & Gardens Tabletop Ampersand Metal Sign | 11. Fountain Valley Wood Wall Shelf | 12. Rustic Wood Mason Wall Sconce
The Design | Layer It Up
Lastly, to create a chic and cozy farmhouse living room, it’s best to think in layers. Layer everything, from your throw pillows to your wall decor.
Farmhouse Living Room Ideas
Get inspired with these chic and cozy farmhouse living room ideas.
Start with Shiplap
Design a farmhouse living room by creating a shiplap. Of course, it doesn’t have to be plain white. You can also paint it with black, brown for that natural wood look, or even gray.
Create a crisp white farmhouse living room by painting the room white and letting the natural light flow through the room. It’s best to furnish the space with neutral-colored decor. Don’t forget to add plants and to mix & match textures to make the space more interesting.
Of course, the most popular farmhouse style! Furnish your living room with old and new elements, like a concrete coffee table, midcentury modern chairs, and a sleek shiplap fireplace.
For a warm and homey feel, incorporate nature-inspired furniture in your farmhouse living room. Don’t hesitate to give vintage items a second chance. It will definitely give a unique character to the space. Also, mix and match textures and patterns, like the hay inspired throw pillows and wicker baskets.
Mix & Match Finishes
Don’t be afraid to mix and match the decor in your farmhouse living room. Remember to think in layers if you want to make the space look unique and interesting, just like this farmhouse living room decorated with an antique gas-can lamp base, wicker chair, red rug, different throw pillow designs, and a pot of fresh blooms.
That’s a wrap for our ultimate guide on how to decorate a farmhouse living room. We will be back soon with our guide on how to design a cozy farmhouse bedroom!
Learn more interior design tips and ideas on Omysa’s blog. Happy decorating!