Moving into a new home or simply redecorating your space? Here’s our easy-to-execute list of must-have home decor essentials to create a comfortable home.
Is it just me or is everyone else spending money on stuff they don’t need to right now? I think I’ve purchased more clothes and skincare products these past few months than I did in 2019. Maybe it’s because of the pandemic, but I’ve been adding a LOT of items to my cart, especially home decor items. I’ve been browsing on different online interior shops, searching for pieces that can make my anxiety and sadness go away. LOL!
So I thought of creating a post about home decor essentials you must have in your home (plus, I really want to have a shopping buddy). Check out our product recommendations below, too! Don’t worry because they’re all chic and inexpensive.
Baskets & Crates
Say goodbye to unwanted clutter and hello to a clean and organized home with baskets and crates. It’s one of the home decor essentials you must have, especially if you need extra storage in your home. For example, storage for your bathroom essentials, home office items, shoes, toys, etc.
Tip: Use wicker baskets to add style and warmth to a space.
- Superior Wicker Basket | 2. Handwoven Ombre Laundry Basket | 3. Decorative Coiled Rope Square Base Tapered Basket Small White | 4. Macramé Catch-All Basket | 5. Bamboo Rectangular Laundry Hamper | 6. Low Dark Brown Abaca Madras Utility Basket
Books or Magazines
You might think if books are home decor essentials, especially in this age where books are becoming less common. Well, it is still pretty important to have books in a room because they’re great for filling empty shelves or spaces. For example, coffee table books are great for decoration and for flipping through when your guests are bored or if you want to start a conversation.
OK, I’m a little guilty when it comes to buying decorative pillows. However, I know I’m not the only one since this is probably one of the home decor essentials that people buy a LOT. Adding a few decorative pillows in your home can instantly create a chic and cozy space.
Tip: Changing the covers of your pillows can immediately make a room look new.
- Colmars Striped Throw Pillow | 2. Joanna Gaines for Anthropologie Textured Eva Pillow | 3. Classic Faux Fur Pillow | 4. Winky Embroidered Pillow | 5. Beechmeadow Cotton Throw Pillow (Set of 4) | 6. Ivory Velvet Throw Pillow
Studies have proven that placing houseplants can improve concentration and productivity, especially now that most people are working at home. Also, it boosts your mood and reduces stress levels. No wonder it’s one of the must-have home decor essentials.
Tip: Before you add a plant in your home, be sure to research on how to keep your plant happy and healthy. It’s best to start with low-maintenance plants, especially if you have a black thumb or no experience at all.
- Audrey Preserved Floral Bouquet | 2. Red Prayer Plant | 3. ZZ Plant | 4. Snake Plant Laurentii | 5. The Cathy | 6. Small Live Assorted Air Plant – Set of 4
If you’re planning to redecorate your home, it’s best to place a mirror on your largest wall to reflect as much light as possible back into the space. This interior trick is especially helpful for people living in small homes or studio spaces.
Tip: Create a gallery wall of mirrors to make a space look interesting. You can choose one big, bold statement mirror then build small mirrors around it.
- Hub Leaning Full Length Mirror | 2. Hoop Mirror | 3. Over-the-Door Mirror | 4. Crescent Moon Mirror | 5. Maywood Floral Octagon Accent Mirror | 6. Round Gold Floating Haiden Mirror
This is one of the most overlooked home decor essentials. I think every home should have a rug, whether it’s a small rug in the entryway or a stylish fur rug in the bedroom. Rugs are a must-have because they add dimension, texture, and visual interest to a space.
Tip: Create a focal point by using a rug. To do this, create contrast by painting your walls a hue that resembles one of your rug’s accent colors.
- Marley Handmade Jute Area Rug | 2. Joanna Gaines for Anthropologie Textured Eva Rug | 3. Diamond Washable Tufted And Hooked Rug | 4. Rise And Shine Bath Mat | 5. One-of-a-Kind Cueto Hand-Knotted 2010s Collage Khaki/Tan 4’9″ x 6’9″ Chenille Area Rug | 6. Natural Basket Weave Jute Rug
Another must-have home decor essential is a unique, statement lighting that will be the focal point of your home. It could be a chic chandelier, a sculptural table lamp, or a vintage floor lamp that you got from your grandma.
Tip: Keep in mind that you will need a variety of lighting in each room. It’s important to layer your lighting. For example, there should be a pendant light above your kitchen island, task lighting for your kitchen cabinets, and ceiling light for the whole kitchen area.
- Brass Everett 10 – Light Unique / Statement Modern Linear Chandelier | 2. Bungalow Pendant | 3. Hudson Industrial Pendant Ceiling Light | 4. Nolfi Caged Bar Pendant Light | 5. Shaylee 6 – Light Candle Style Classic Chandelier | 6. Brass Starburst Two Light Logan Wall Sconce
One of the home decor essentials that can make your space cozy and warm. They also make the space look stylish simply by placing them on a chair, on the end of a bed, on the rung of a storage ladder, or sofa. Trust me, it’s a classic accessory that you must have in your home.
Tip: Add texture to your space with a stylish throw blanket. For example, a fur throw in your bed or sofa can make a simple bedroom look chic and cozy.
- Critchfield Fluffy Throw | 2. Vanessa Knit Throw Blanket | 3. Throw Blanket Dusty Pink Stripe with Poms | 4. Stargazer Plush Throw Blanket | 5. Nader Tweed Knitted-Design Throw | 6. Blue Multicolor Stitch Fringe Throw Blanket
Of course, trays should be part of the home decor essentials list because they’re great for organizing clutter on your coffee table, bathroom essentials, skincare products, desk accessories, etc.
Tip: Decorate your tray by adding low and tall items, like books, candles, and a vase of your favorite blooms. Then, add texture like a small wicker bowl with wooden river pebbles.
- Bishopston Serving Tray | 2. Nathalie Lete Animalia Decorative Tray | 3. Acacia Serving Tray | 4. Fae Vanity Tray | 5. Coffee Table Tray | 6. Gold Mirrored Tabletop Tray
Vases & Bowls
A home decor essential that almost everyone has, and you should too! It’s great for displaying fresh blooms or dried flowers. You can personality and style in your entryway by decorating it with big vases and stylish bowls for your keys. It’s a cheap and effective way to make your home look chic.
Tip: Highlight the beauty of your vase by placing it in a strategic spot of your home.
- 8 Piece Atglen Brown Stoneware Table Vase Set (Set of 8) | 2. Translucent Bubble Vase | 3. Ceramic Skinny Vase Dusty Pink | 4. Palm Vase | 5. 4 Piece Weon Ceramic Table Vase Set | 6. Clear Glass Bud Vases Set Of 3
One of the home decor essentials that can add character and personality to a space. It could be an old painting or personal art that you made. For example, photos of your family, friends, places you have traveled, or something meaningful to you framed and hung on the wall.
Tip: You don’t have to spend to add style to your home. Even if you’re not artistic, you can create a gallery wall or paint your heart out by creating a mural.
- ‘Donkey, Llama, Goat, Sheep’ – Print on Canvas | 2. Minimalist Gallery Frame | 3. Italy Coast Houses Minimal Abstract Painting Framed Art Print | 4. Gustav Klimt The Kiss Poster | 5. ‘Elephant in a Tub Funny Animal Bathroom’ by Rachel Neiman – Drawing Print | 6. Greenhouse By Sara Boccaccini Meadows Framed Canvas Wall Art
Lastly, on our home decor essentials list is to decorate your empty windows with blinds, drapes, or shutters. Not only it will give you privacy, but some styles can also make your window look bigger.
Tip: If you can’t choose how to decorate your window, then opt for frosted glass windows. This will give you privacy without needing to hang any blinds or curtains.
That’s a wrap for our must-have home decor essentials. Learn more interior design tips and ideas on Omysa’s blog. Happy decorating!