Create the backyard of your dreams without breaking the bank with these easy and smart backyard ideas!
OK, we know that spring and summer this year are going to be a (little) different. However, being stuck at home all day can drive you a bit crazy. Plus, now that the weather all over the country is starting to get sunny and warm, maybe hanging out at your backyard or balcony will help improve your mood.
However, a sad-looking backyard that is crying out for help definitely won’t help you shift your perspective. Also, spending a fortune or hiring a professional during this time would be impractical. That’s why today, we’ve compiled a list of budget-friendly and very doable backyard ideas. Trust us, you’ll never want to go inside again.
Hang String Lights
First on our list of budget-friendly backyard ideas is to brighten up your outdoor space by hanging pretty string lights, big and small. It’s cheap and easy to hang in your backyard or balcony.
You can choose solar LED lantern string lights for a fun and festive mood in your backyard. Plus, it will help you save up on your energy bills. Or you can design your patio or terrace with vintage string lights for a romantic feel. Lastly, install fairy string lights if you want to transform your backyard into a magical land.
- Solar Lantern Light String | 2. LEDs Fairy String Lights Dimmable with Remote Control | 3. Extra Long Copper Firefly String Lights | 4. Novelty String Light | 5. Globe String Lights | 6. Rattan Wrapped Orb Solar LED 30 Bulb String Lights
A personal favorite of mine ever since I was a kid is to camp out under the stars in our backyard with my family and friends. It’s inexpensive, and it creates one of the best memories. All you need are sleeping bags, good music, and snacks like marshmallows to roast on the fire pit.
Mosaic Flower Pots
Next on our list of backyard ideas is to repurpose old decorative dishes into mosaic tile pieces for your old pots. You don’t have to spend anything on this project. All you need is to be creative with the patterns and colors. Choose the dishes you want to use, cut the pieces, and arrange them. Pretty simple, right?
DIY Outdoor Window Shelf
If you love to invite your family and friends at your backyard, then this DIY outdoor window shelf for your grilling tools is perfect for you. It looks chic and a safe spot to store your grilling utensils when not in use. Plus, it’s really easy to do. You can get the tutorial at Ana White.
DIY a Pocket Garden
Next on our list of backyard ideas is to repurpose an old shoe holder into an outdoor planter by Good Housekeeping. This is perfect for plant lovers with small backyards or small balcony space.
Keep It Simple
Create a simple and functional backyard by adding a sleek, minimalist bench and installing wall hooks for your gardening stuff.
Hang a Hammock
Next on our list of backyard ideas is to create a chic and relaxing backyard escape by hanging a slim hammock. This is a doable idea for people with a tiny outdoor space. Add some comfy throw pillows, floor cushions for extra seating, and a jute area rug to complete the look.
- Fringed Macramé Hammock | 2. Botanical Print 18″ x 18″ Decorative Pillow | 3. Miriam Hanging Chair | 4. Ginny Woven Jute Rug | 5. Seashell Jute Floor Pillow | 6. Woven Jute Area Rug
Make It Cozy
For city dwellers who have a rooftop terrace instead of a backyard, you can still create a cozy outdoor space at your terrace by adding a LOT of plants. Then, set up a little sitting area like a comfy daybed full of throw pillows or outdoor dining set for small dinner gatherings with your family and friends. Don’t forget to add string lights to make the space shine.
- Peacock Cabana Daybed | 2. Ted Baker London Fortune Allover Decor Pillow | 3. Bistro 12” Rattan Planter + Stand | 4. Ivy Vine String Lights | 5. Rattan Plant Stand | 6. All Weather Wicker Woven Amelie Outdoor Dining Collection
DIY Outdoor Bar
Next on our list of backyard ideas is to build an outdoor bar to entertain guests outdoors. Well, it doesn’t have to be exactly like the photo. A simple bar cart like A Burst of Beautiful’s idea will be perfect to store outdoor treats and summer beverages. Add outdoors chairs or floor cushions and a table. You’re all set!
DIY a Flower-Covered Pergola
If you’re lucky to have a big backyard, use the space by creating your own dreamy flower-covered pergola. However, if you have a small backyard space, you can still create one by using artificial flowers of your choice and string lights. Furnish it with an outdoor bistro set or set up a rustic dining table to complete the look.
Make It Multipurpose
Next on our list of backyard ideas is to create a multipurpose space, just like this patio designed by Studio Ashby. It’s a dining space, a garden, and a relaxation spot to bask under the sun while reading your favorite book.
- Terrazzo Indoor/Outdoor Bistro Table | 2. Capri Striped Indoor/Outdoor Bistro Chair | 3. Knotted Melati Hanging Chair | 4. Pierce Rattan Two-Seater Chair | 5. Gran Robusto Cedar Planter Box | 6. Small Coral Floral Lily Outdoor Planter
For city dwellers with a small balcony, you can create a chic “backyard” escape by adding plenty of greenery to enliven the space. It’s best to use a ladder plant stand so that it won’t take up too much floor space. Furnish it with a simple coffee table and a sleek daybed or bench with throw pillows. Lastly, hang string lights to make the space bright and warm.
- Neptune Indoor/Outdoor Sofa | 2. Teak Coffee Table | 3. Paula Plant Stand | 4. Spora Three-Tiered Hanging Planter | 5. Umbra Ora Grow Light Planter | 6. Espresso All Weather Wicker Pinamar Outdoor Rolling Bar Cart
Add Statement-Making Chairs
Next on our list of backyard ideas is to create a chic space by adding statement-making sling chairs. You can also create your own design by buying an affordable sling chair and painting the canvas yourself.
- Soleil Beach Sling Chair | 2. Peacock Indoor/Outdoor Hanging Chair | 3. Rattan Rocking Chair | 4. Uma Outdoor Chair | 5. Faunce Reclining Chaise Lounge with Cushion | 6. All Weather Wicker Lenco Outdoor Occasional Chair
Lastly, in our list of backyard ideas is to create your own tiny greenhouse in your backyard by transforming an unused shed for your plant collection. This will keep your plants healthy and alive.
That’s a wrap for our budget-friendly, easy, and smart backyard ideas. We hope that these backyard ideas will help you to beautify your outdoor space.
Learn more interior design tips and ideas on Omysa’s blog. Happy decorating!