Turn your backyard or your living space into a private theatre with these at-home movie night ideas that will totally take your family time to the next level!
Going to the movies is always a great idea to bond with your family and friends, like going on a picnic. Not to mention, we all love munching on sweet and salty snacks. However, since we are in the middle of a pandemic, going to the movies is not an option. Luckily, it’s now easy to stream different types of movies (Thank you, Netflix) right at the comfort of your home.
No, we are not talking about wasting 30 minutes scrolling through Netflix, but cool and fun at-home movie night ideas that you can do in your backyard or your living space! Imagine Pinterest-worthy at-home movie night with cozy blankets, pillows, projector, and romantic string lights. Plus, unlimited snacks!
Yes, today, we will completely recreate an amazing and memorable cinematic experience at home. Of course, it takes a little prep work, but it’s oh-so-worth-it!
Choose Your Movie
- Choose a Movie: OK, first things first, create your own blockbuster event by picking a movie on Amazon Prime, HBO, Hulu, or Netflix. It could be a comedy, horror, or something romantic and sappy.
- Create a Theme: Movie night is much more fun when you get all dolled up or create a theme, like a decade theme, horror theme, or superhero theme. The theme could also depend on what movie you choose.
Set the Scene
- Add Themed Décor: One of the at-home movie night ideas that will liven up your backyard or your living space is to decorate according to your theme, like displaying a “Now Playing” sign, hanging movie posters, or putting out a red carpet.
- Make It Cozy: Of course, setting up a super cozy and dreamy space with a perfectly cozy blanket, pillows, and other soft fuzzies makes at-home movie night better and more enjoyable unlike at a real theater.
- Use String Lights: Indoors or outdoors, string lights are one of the at-home movie night ideas that can make the night feel authentic.
Prepare a Snack Bar
- Classic Movie Snack: As we have mentioned, we all love munching on sweet and salty snacks. So create your own movie night like candies and popcorn. It’s a classic movie snack that your family will enjoy! Don’t forget to add drinks, such as lemonade or soda.
- Nachos: Nachos as a movie night snack? Sign us up! Add ingredients, such as black beans, cilantro, corn, guac, jalapeños, meat, onion, salsa, and sour cream. Delicioso!
- Make Your Own Pizza: Pizza is always a good movie night snack. You can either MYO pizza at home or use a store-bought crust. Add your favorite toppings, put them in the oven, and you are done!
- Make Chili Dogs and Fries: Yes, topped with cheese and onion!
- Serve Milkshakes: Not a fan of lemonade or soda? Go for milkshakes, like chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla with ice cream and whipped cream. Don’t forget the cherry on top!
Backyard Movie Night Ideas
- Build a Pillow Fort: If you have young kids, let them experience a backyard movie night by setting up a pillow fort. It will certainly make your family movie night more adventurous and fun.
- Pair With Another Activity: Sometimes, kids get easily bored. So we suggest pairing it with another activity, like dancing or singing.
- Provide Lawn Chairs: Use lawn chairs that recline to watch the movie comfortably.
- Use a Projector: One of the at-home movie night ideas is to display your movie on a larger screen. Trust us, your kids will surely enjoy Frozen or Harry Potter.
Have the best movie night and make it a night to remember with these at-home movie night ideas!
Get your home squeaky clean faster and more efficiently this spring with no-fail spring cleaning tips according to the best design pros.
Learn more interior design tips and ideas on Omysa’s Design blog. Enjoy the movie!